What is Age Related Macular Degeneration?

What is Age Related Macular Degeneration?

Age-related macular degeneration, often call AMD, is the leading cause of irreversible vision loss among people who are age 60 and older.  It is estimated that 10 million people will experience this disorder during their retirement years.  Macular degeneration is a disorder of the retina. The macula is a small central portion of the retina which is necessary for sharp “straight ahead” vision needed for reading, driving, or recognizing faces.

There are two types of age-related macular degeneration:  Dry AMDaccounts for 80% of all cases of AMD, and Wet AMDwhich occurs in the other 20% of cases.   Dry AMD is an early stage of the disorder and may result from aging and thinning of the macula.  Through a period of years, slow progression to late-stage atrophy can occur and can cause severe vision loss. With Wet AMD,  new abnormal blood vessels grow beneath the retina and leak blood and fluid.  Eventually if left untreated, the process creates scarring and vision loss. Risk factors for macular degeneration include:  Age; Hereditary; Smoking; and Hypertension.

No FDA-approved treatments are available for Dry AMD, although a few are now in clinical trials.  A clinical trial called Age-Related Eye Disease Study (AREDS) has produced strong evidence that certain nutrients such as beta carotene, Vitamin C and E, Lutein, and Omega 3-fatty acids may help to slow the progression of Dry AMD.  In Wet AMD, Anti-Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF) drugs such as Lucentis, Avastin, Macugen, and Eylea can be injected into the eye to cause the abnormal leaking blood vessels to stop bleeding or leaking.

At Katzen Eye Group we use the most cutting-edge technology and equipment to diagnose AMD.  Our philosophy is simple; we are here to use every possible tool to prevent AMD from stealing a person’s vision and independence.  Early detection and treatment can help you avoid severe vision loss. If you have any questions or want to schedule a consultation click here or please contact our Retina Department at 443-632-2886.


The Amsler Grid  is used to screen for Macular Degeneration.  The test involves looking at a square grid with a dot in the center.  The grid should be held 12 inches away from the face, while wearing reading eye glasses.  Cover one eye at a time and stare at the dot in the center of the grid.  If there appears to be any blurry spots, or lines look distorted there could be the possibility of AMD and a phone call to the Retina Department at Katzen Eye Group should be made.

Patient Portal Ways to pay Request an Appointment Order contacts 410-821-9490

Our locations

1209 York Road,
Lutherville, MD, 21093
Monday: 8:00am-5:00pm
Tuesday-Thursday: 8:00am-6:30pm
Friday: 8:00am-4:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am-1:30pm

301 Saint Paul Place
Professional Office Building
Suites 514 & 902
Baltimore, MD 21202
Mon-Fri: 8am-4pm

Ridge Road Professional Center
7106 Ridge Road
Rosedale, MD 21237
(410) 866-2022
Monday-Wednesday: 8:00am-4:30pm
Thursday: 8:00am-5:00pm
Friday: 8:00am-4:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am-1:30pm

3401 Box Hill Corporate Center Drive
Suite 202
Abingdon, MD 21009
Mon: 8am-4pm
Tue: 8am-6pm
Wed: 8am-5pm
Thu: 8am-5pm
Fri: 8am-4pm

111 Mt Carmel Rd #600
Parkton, MD 21120
Monday 8:30am - 6:00pm
Tuesday 8:00am - 4:30pm
Wednesday 8:00am - 4:30pm
Thursday 8:00am - 4:30pm
Friday 8:00am - 4:00pm

Optical Opens at 9:00am each day.

**Now open the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month effective July 10, 2024**

310 Main Street
Reisterstown, MD 21136
Mon: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Tues: 8:00 am - 6:30 pm
Weds: Now open the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month effective 7/10/24
Thurs: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Sat (First and Third Saturday of the month): 8:00am - 1:00pm

21 Crossroads Drive
Suite 425
Owings Mills, MD 21117
Tues & Thur: 8 am-5 pm
Fri: 8 am-4 pm

901 Dulaney Valley Road
Suite 200
Towson, MD 21204
Mon-Fri: 8am-4pm